Pages

Thursday 24 April 2014

My Admiralty Island


Poem
 For so long I was almost forgotten
Isolated, almost submerged in the Bismarck Sea
Lorengau Market, Manus Island

Like a drifting log I remain silent in the Pacific Ocean
My people were seagulls afloat
Rising sea level and tide toss me here and there
Eroding my smaller pieces in agony
Climate change was my forever enemy
I was desperate for help but no one seems to notice my plight
My people have their own problems
Their lives centers around an untapped marine resource
How can we maximize it?
Our wealth lies in the brains of children
Our investment was education

They gave me the smallest share from the men's house in Waigani
Manus island Asylum Seekers detention center.
I accepted it, though it couldn’t mend a broken fishing net
The chief in the men's house gave me a handful
But my people are two hands full
The world around me had changed over night
I felt lost coping with the speed of change
Under resourced, getting little from Waigani, I felt helpless

Just as I was about to sink with the setting sun
The big man from the big house reaches for my hands
He tells me I am going to be OK tomorrow
Showing me a paper with signatures
Saying that I will expect more people on my island
These people came with their own problems
It wasn’t what I have been crying for decades

Yesterday my people were peace loving
Today they call me a shit hole by the land down under
Effects of Climate Change
They call me my people dumb for decisions they never made
Silence them with riot police when they cry their agony out
How long will my people bear their pain?
When will the men in the big house come down to our level
Until I ceased to exist as a part of their nation
Will they mourn over their injustice on me?



No comments:

Post a Comment